Share

Thursday 19 February 2009

Marylin Manson on the O'Reilly Factor (Summer 2006)

This is a very interesting clip of two polar opposites having a reasonably civil conversation. Bill O'Reilly, the conservative host of The O'Reilly Factor on FOX, interviews Marilyn Manson, controversially famous American musician whose work, persona and following have been described as everything from genious to satanic or worse. O'Reilly, despite still asking leading questions in an accusatory fashion, actually does a respectable job of engaging Manson (born Brian Hugh Warner) on his musical style and lyrics, the intent behind his music, and the degree that musicians and the media at large effect the actions and psyche of those exposed.

I have seen more of O'Reilly since coming to Hong Kong as Fox is two channels past CNN and I can't help but channel flip and get exposed from time to time. But the more I hear and see of him, the less impressed I am; I find him to be a bully, mean and irrational. Manson, on the other hand, impressed me with his composure, sincerity, and occasional eloquence during an interview taking place on a show (and network) that any rational person would certainly describe as "hostile territory". I don't fancy his music much, but he strikes me as an original, and an artist at heart with a genuine desire for expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment