Share

Thursday 26 March 2009

White Collar Boxing Fight Night (Mar 26, Intercontinental Hotel, Hong Kong)

Well I didn't win unfortunately, but I was happy with my performance. My opponent was fairly technical and much more aggressive than I ever saw him in training. Having sparred with him before, I knew going into it that my chances were probably 50/50, thus my goal was to fight a good fight, not get pulled into a street brawl. My opponent fought very, very well and I congratulate him for a good win; I also hope he gets herpes.

It being my first amateur fight, I was extremely nervous about pacing and was happy that I did a pretty good job of that and had steam all throughout the three rounds. But I think the last 30 seconds of third round did me in, when my opponent just poured it on and got me with some really good attacks. I wasn't too hurt by any of them to be honest, but definitely gave up lots of points as a result. After the fact it's easy to recall all the defensive training I learned that I didn't use but that's the way it goes I guess.

The worst part of the whole night was being the last fight and the insane combination of perverse and terrifying excitement combined with inane boredom and restlessness. We had to be there at 6pm but my fight wasn't until almost 5 hrs later! Lots of pacing, talking with other fighters about their strategies, laying around and waiting.

But all in all I had a BLAST. Excellent promotion company, an impressive cause, fantastic people and a rip-roaring party during and afterwards. It's probably too soon to say that I'll definitely do it again, but I certainly can't retire with a 0 - 1 record now, can I? Thanks to everyone who supported me leading up to the fight, and a special thanks to those that attended - it means a lot to me.

Anyways, enough of my blabbering, here are the videos, courtesy of my fantastic wife/documentary director (me in the sexy blue trunks):

INTRO:

ROUND 1:

ROUND 2:

Round 3:

5 comments: